“Prayer...properly understood and applied,
is the most potent instrument of action.” - Mohandas Gandhi
The most visible roles the Heart Ministers fill are at Sunday services, when they:
- Pray with those seeking prayer support after services (you'll know them by their lavendar stoles).
- Read the weekly prayer.
- Conduct the service and meditation at 8:00 am when the later services have a guest speaker.
- Conduct the meditation at the 9:30 and 11:30 services when they are being led by a lay guest speaker.
Behind the scenes and just as importantly, the Heart Ministers:
- Pray for every prayer request submitted.
- Make phone calls to pray when someone is in need.
- Visit the homebound and sick, including hospital visits.
- Work with local hospices.
- Attend interfaith group meetings as they feel called.
- Host the World Day of Prayer in September.
- Host a Prayer Vigil in November.
- Make connection calls to members of Unity of Walnut Creek to offer prayer or other support.
- Other activities as needed.
Participation in a 3-day training is reqiured to become a Heart Minister. The training utilizes the prayer chaplaincy program from Love and Light Ministries.
More importantly, it requires a commitment on their hearts to help others through prayer and the presence of their care.